The Tour de Yorkshire starts later this week and as it’s just down the road (pardon the pun) from us, needless to say we’re very excited.
It’s fantastic that this has now become an official event on the UCI Europe Tour following the success of the Tour de France, which passed by our neck of the woods in 2014.
As always, we’re interested in the food and in this case what pro cyclists eat to maintain their incredible fitness levels.
It’s estimated that the pros need to consume almost three times the number of calories when racing as the average person, so that’s a staggering 6,000-7,000 calories per day.
It’s not too surprising when you consider they can burn anywhere between 3,000-5,000 calories on the bike each day.
So, whilst they will be in Yorkshire, there will be no Yorkshire Puddings, Pikelets or Yorkshire Parkin, unfortunately, and instead it will be carbs and protein, and lots of them.
Sprinter Mark Cavendish swears by an omelette and rice for breakfast and snacks such as nuts and energy bars.
During a race you will see the riders eating bananas and even jam sandwiches. And to wash it down, well it has to be an energy drink. It’s amazing they get any sleep after all that sugar!
We’ll be watching the Tour this week, but it’s safe to stay we won’t be eating and drinking exactly what the cyclists will be.
However, here’s our Mark Cavendish-inspired recipe:
Herb omelette with chives and oregano
- 6 eggs
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons of oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of chives, chopped
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup of grated cheese (optional)
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs and water together and then season well with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the herbs.
- In a small pan, melt the butter over medium high heat and add the egg mixture to pan. If using cheese, add cheese on top of eggs.
- Let eggs set around edges and then lift edges and tilt pan, so uncooked eggs will go under the cooked eggs.
- Cook until eggs are almost set (1 -2 minutes) then put on a plate, Add more chives and oregano as garnish
- Serve with tomatoes and garlic bread if you wish.